Friday, March 16, 2012

Book Review #16 [The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong]


----

All Chloe Saunders wants is a life like any normal teenager – the chance to get through school, make friends, and maybe meet a boy.  But when she starts seeing ghosts, she knows that like will never be the same again.
Soon the ghosts are everywhere, demanding her attention.  When Chloe finally breaks down, she’s admitted to a group home for disturbed kids.  At first Lyle House seems okay, but as she gets to know the other patients – charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek; obnoxious Tori; and Rae, who has a ‘thing’ for fire – Chloe begins to realise that something strange and sinister binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual ‘problem kid’ behaviour.
And they’re about to discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home, either…
--

The Summoning is the first novel in the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong. We follow young Chloe Saunders as she discovers and experiences a new world. She sees apparitions, spirits, ghosts. After having a mental breakdown Chloe's aunt sends her to a special place where she can get the help she needs. There Chloe meets other kids who in a way are just like her; special in the supernatural sense.

Now, I'll get straight to the point -- I didn't enjoy this book at all. I stopped about close to the end. I just couldn't take it anymore. If you look on my Goodreads profile, you'll be able to find a summarized version of feelings to this book. In case, you rather not do that here it is:

"I didn't like it. At all. I gave up half way through the book. It just seemed to drag way too long, I mean I understood what was happening way before and I mean WAY BEFORE Chloe (main girl) did. Okay, now Chloe I understand the frustration and the confusion that comes with anything supernatural. I get it, I do. But, GOOD LORD she rubbed me the wrong way. Not that she was a bitch or anything...It's just I found her...SO BORING!! >_< I mean, ugh I can't even explain it well, basically Chloe is as plain as bread. Nothing special, no special oopf. Now, the boys. Derek - Did we really need constant tell of his acne and body odor? I got it the first time, js. Simon - blah; nothing but his brother's shadow. Well, that's all I have to say. I doubt I'll continue this series. /shrug"
^
All of that is pretty much how I feel. Now, I am all for paranormal novels trust me. But, unfortunately this one just didn't do it for me.

I think this would have been much better and a bit more enjoyable if the main character or all of them actually had a bit more appeal.  Another note, this reminded me of Armstrong's Bitten novel; dull and unpleasant.

Rating: 1/5 

whoa. first time giving a 1 on here. o-o

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...